Weekdays 6-7am, 8-9am, 5-6pm
April 1, 2015 - 6:00 am
5 brand new releases we can’t wait to share with you this month:
1. Andrew Combs All These Dreams (Coin) – Do people make records like this anymore?! On one hand a throwback to classic 70s pop era singer-songwriters, yet still sounds relevant and fresh. Andrew has a terrific voice and the record has a nice understated beauty to it. [Review by Iaan Hughes]
2. José González Vestiges & Claws (Imperial) – José’s first album in 7 years finds him recording these slow-burning compositions at his home in Sweden. Perfect for those mornings when you need to ease into your hectic day.
3. Pharis & Jason Romero A Wanderer I’ll Stay (Lula) – This British Columbia couple has been earning wider recognition in the U.S. Not an easy feat for artists who perform old-time folk music. This recording clearly displays why. Good songwriting, beautiful harmonies, great guitar and claw-hammer banjo make this a wonderful addition to the folk genre.
4. Sufjan Stevens Carrie & Lowell (Asmathic Kitty) – Beautiful, orchestral neo-folk a la Elliot Smith. His first album in 5 years, following the death of his mother, is a moving, understated meditation on loss.
5. The Mighty Mocambos Showdown (Légère) – This is the third release for this European funk outfit who use afrobeat horns and a solid groove to get you dancing! They keep the groove traditional, yet contemporary. This band is tight!
Last Month’s Top 3 Releases:
March 30, 2015 - 11:28 am
- Rhiannon Giddens Tomorrow Is My Turn (Nonesuch)
- Pops Staples Don’t Lose This (Anti/Epitaph)
- Bettye LaVette Worthy (Cherry Red)
- Seth Avett & Jessica Lea Mayfield Sing Elliott Smith (Ramseur)
- Mark Knopfler Tracker (Verve)
- Brandi Carlile The Firewatcher’s Daughter (ATO)
- Kitty, Daisy & Lewis The Third (Sunday Best)
- D’Angelo & The Vanguard Black Messiah (RCA)
- The Decemberists What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World (Capitol)
- Joe Pug Windfall (Lightning Rod)
March 18, 2015 - 2:03 pm
In 2013, the US Department of Health and Human Services reported an estimated four children die every day as a result of child abuse. Listen to a number of perspectives and personal experiences of child abuse and child sexual assault in this series. The hotline for the Providence Intervention Center for Assault and Abuse is
March 16, 2015 - 2:11 pm
March 13, 2015 - 1:24 pm
Last March, hundreds of detainees at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma performed a hunger strike. It was the first of two more at the Tacoma Northwest detention center and at immigration detention centers in Texas and Alabama. Today we get the update on conditions of the immigration detention center in Tacoma today and on
March 9, 2015 - 5:55 pm
In March of 2003, 23 year old peace activist from Olympia Washington, Rachel Corrie was crushed to death by an Israeli bulldozer while undertaking nonviolent direct action to protect the home of a Palestinian family from demolition. Just last month, Israel’s Supreme Court rejected an appeal to decade-long legal proceedings on whether the Israeli army